Monday 1 July 2013

Race report: Salomon Trail Series, Studley Park, 10.8km

On Sunday 30 June I lined up with 430-odd other people for the medium distance (10.8km) course in Race 1 of the Salomon Trail Series in Studley Park, Kew. This is the first of a four race series, of which I plan to do three (Studley Park, Plenty Gorge and Silvan Reservoir, leaving Anglesea as the last leg which I probably won't travel to).

My good friend Liggo had already reconnoitered the course for me over the past couple of weeks and via a series of detailed calculations had forecast a time of 48:17 for me. Having never seen the course before, I guess that was my only yardstick!

Based on Liggo's warning of lots of singletrack in the second half of the race, I decided to go out hard at the start where it was easier to pass. The first 3km, which was mostly on road, footpath or crushed rock, was over in about 12:25.

Knowing I had banked a bit of time, from here I settled into a pretty good rhythm. The kms ticked over pretty quickly, usually averaging ~4:35 pace, despite the increasingly crowded singletrack. However, the runners that I were passing were very aware, and happy to make room to my calls of 'passing'. Some even slowed down and moved over before I even got to them. A lot of respect out there on the trail, it must be said.

I was having a bit of a quasi-battle with a few runners around my pace, finding that I was faster going up the hills, but usually not as good on the downhills and about even on the flat. Then with ~3.5km to go, I managed to edge them up one of the 'big' hills on the course (once you've been running with the Dandy Trail Runners, 'big hill' takes on a whole new meaning - comparatively these we're nothing but little pinches). Then I pulled off a passing maneuver on the singletrack which I think earned me a 'huge chunk of time' because we subsequently entered a section that was very difficult to pass on, but I was in the clear. In hindsight, however, it was a pretty suicidal move and I'm just glad I didn't end up in the Yarra with a broken leg.

I was feeling pretty good with a couple of km to go, pushing very hard but able to maintain my pace. However, there was still one last chance to stuff things up. With just over a km to go, having re-joined the trail from the road, my left foot landed on a rock and slid way forward, then bit into the ground. My torso snapped so far forward with my momentum that my chest hit my left knee. I must have groaned out pretty loudly because three people in front I me turned around to ask if I was ok. Thankfully I was - my hamstring was a little sore but I was just happy it hadn't snapped in half. The true test re: injury would come the next day.

After the customary sprint finish to the line, I saw I crossed in 47:38, averaging 4:28/km (take that, Liggo!). I don't remember being overtaken by anyone in the second half of the race that I didn't subsequently pass back. I later found out my time was good enough for 25th out of 463 runners, and 20th out of 201 males. Top 10%, very happy!

On a final note, it was good to catch up with a few of the Dandy Trail Runners (DTR) after the race who had competed in either the mid distance or long course (15k) option. Those training runs in the hills certainly seem to be paying off. I later heard some of the DTR group had won or placed in their category. Great work.

On a final, final, note, being asked to fork over more than $30 for a few photos taken on the course by the 'official' photographers really reinforces the great work done by people like Erwin from dandyrunner.com.au and Steve from fstop5.com at other trail events, taking terrific pictures and providing them free of charge. Anyway, the below is a (grainy) screen shot of me somewhere out on course.

Copyright: supersportimages.com.au


------

Update: unfortunately the hamstring wasn't ok at all. As I suspected, it started to hurt a little more once it cooled down and the diagnosis is a Grade '1+' tear. The road to recovery will take 2-3 weeks, so should be ok for the next Salomon race.




No comments:

Post a Comment